Even small scaly patches in the groin can cause severe discomfort. And if the rash is accompanied by itching, then you can only imagine how unbearable it can be. In most cases, fungal diseases, which like to be localized in the groin area, are to blame, even if the main lesion may be located in a completely different part of the body. It is possible to distinguish venereal or fungal origin only after examining the clinical picture of the dermatologist, taking a scraping from the lesions and other necessary analyzes.
Many diseases are known in medicine that can cause scaly patches in the groin of various colors and sizes. Most of them are of fungal origin, but dermatoses and venereal diseases cannot also be ruled out. The most common causes are:
- Inguinal athlete. A very common skin lesion caused by fungi of the genus Epidermophyton floccosum. It is found in all countries of the world, but the hot humid climate is the most favorite place of epidermomycosis. A distinctive feature is the appearance of large flaking spots of red-bluish color on large skin folds. The size of the eruptions in the initial stage is 1-2 cm, in the neglected 9-10 cm. Along with the growth of spots, a peeling, the appearance of a crust and a slight itch in the area of the lesion can occur. In rare cases, the genitals and the area of the anus may be affected. Infection occurs through direct contact (sexually) and the use of household items of a sick person (washcloth, underwear). Infections are common in public showers, pools and bathhouses – places where there is a lot of moisture. There are frequent relapses, especially in the hot season.
- Rubromycosis in the groin. Very often rubricytosis is confused with an inguinal athlete, as the clinical picture is very similar. However, this fungal disease is caused by the red trihofiton and can extend not only to the inguinal area, but also to fluff hair, nails and skin throughout the body. The distinctive trait is scaly yellowish spots with clear borders. The surface of the rash is covered with crusts, vesicles or small pink nodules. It is proved that people who have problems with immunity and sweating, often suffer from rubromycosis. Most often transmitted through the use of personal hygiene items and sexually.
- Erythrasma. The name translates from Greek as “painted in red.” The putative pathogen is a fungus of the genus Corynebacterium minutissimum, which first falls into the interdigital folds of the feet and only then spreads to other parts of the body. A distinctive feature – scaly patches in the inguinal-femoral region of reddish and brownish shades. The shape of the rash is often irregular, the surface is dry and covered with scales. In rare cases (people suffering from hyperhidrosis), inflammatory processes, itching and other subjective sensations may occur. Erythrasma contagion is insignificant, it is transmitted in individual cases from person to person. To confirm the diagnosis and exclude the inguinal athlete, the luminescence of the lesions of the Wood’s lamp, where the coral-red porphyrin produced by corynebacterium is visible, is necessarily assigned.
In 90% of cases, scaly patches in the groin mean one of the above fungal diseases. In rare cases, they can be caused by running thrush or one of the types of herpes.
Photo of Scaly Patches in the Groin
Like all fungal diseases, scaly patches in the groin require timely treatment to the doctor, examination of the clinical picture, taking scrapings and other activities that help determine the culture of the fungal pathogen. And only after that you can talk about any treatment. In most cases, dermatologists recommend the following drugs to their patients:
- Akriderm GK – 2 times a day for 1 month;
- Clotrimazole – 2 times a day for 3 weeks;
- Triderm – 2 times a day during the week, then once every three days for 2 weeks;
- Hydrocortisone – 1 time per day for 5 days;
- Funzol – once a day for a week.
Cream Triderm is contraindicated for children under 12 years old! In advanced and recurrent cases, systemic oral medications may be prescribed. In the presence of itching, antihistamines are prescribed.