If a man has scaly skin on the scrotum without itching and redness, then this is the first bell to think about personal hygiene. Maybe underwear is of inadequate quality (synthetic or very narrow), shower gel is not suitable, or the last epilation did not go “smoothly”. It is worse when the skin on the testicles peels off and red spots and severe itching appear. There is already a high probability of fungal infection or activation of allergic dermatitis. All these symptoms rarely occur painlessly, so a qualified examination by a dermatovenereologist can prevent the disease at an early stage, which will significantly speed up the process of its treatment. Ignoring the problem can lead to the fact that the inflammatory process will interfere even walk, not to mention other things.
Possible Diseases and Provoking Factors
You need to start, perhaps, with the fact that the main reason for the appearance of peeling on the testicles of a man is the neglect of the rules of personal hygiene. Unfortunately, not everyone pays (or has the ability to pay) due attention to the groin and genital areas. And in the area of the scrotum constant maceration of the skin, excessive sweating, which create a favorable environment for fungi and all sorts of infections. There are also factors not related to personal hygiene:
- Inguinal athlete. A very common fungal disease that most often affects men who have problems with overweight and excessive sweating. In 90% of cases, the rash is localized in the inguinal-femoral folds, but there is a tendency for the spots to spread to the scrotum and buttocks. In such cases, there is redness of the testicles, peeling and intense itching. Infection most often occurs in baths, steam rooms, swimming pools. It must also be remembered that the athlete’s inguinal athlete can be transmitted through close physical contact with an infected person.
- Candidiasis. Or all known male thrush can also cause peeling in the scrotum. In this case, we are talking about a neglected form, when there is migration of fungi from the genitals (penile head and foreskin in 90% of cases are affected by Candida fungi) to the upper and lower extremities. You can become infected through sexual intercourse, therefore, treatment of both partners is practiced. In addition to desquamation, there can be observed redness of the testicles, severe itching on penis, a whitish plaque and an acidic odor.
- Rubrofitia. In our case, we are talking about rubromycosis in the groin, which is characterized by the appearance of red scaly spots in the inguinal-femoral folds and genitals. The fungus affects not only the skin, but also gun hair. Redness can be observed on the testicles, accompanied by burning, crusts and vesicles. Rubrofitiya is almost always accompanied by severe itching and tends to spread lesions to the abdomen, axilla and buttocks.
- Contact dermatitis. Most often diagnosed in men aged 20-40 years. The cause of an allergic reaction may be in personal hygiene items (cleansers, soap, shower gel) or underwear (narrow panties made of synthetic materials). Very often an allergic reaction can be caused by a condom or its lubrication. The skin on the scrotum reddens, flakes and itches. Bubbles with fluid and weeping in the lesions may also occur.
We must also not forget about hair removal, as one of the main reasons for the appearance of most of the rashes in the groin area. Despite the fact that the skin on the scrotum is rough, epilation can cause severe irritation, accompanied by desquamation and severe itching. In this case, the razor or aftershave may be an allergen.
Photo of Skin Scaling on Scrotum
Treatment and Prevention
The initial stage of psoriasis and lichen planus can also cause desensitization and scaling on the skin of the scrotum. Here you can’t do without full-time expert consultation and testing.
When peeling without redness and itching, you can use a moisturizer for 2-3 days. In most cases, during this time, the process subsides and exfoliation disappears without a trace. Otherwise, it is better to make an appointment with a dermatovenerologist.
In cases where there are pronounced symptoms of the fungus in the groin – burning, severe itching, red spots, peeling and scabs, it is impossible to visit a doctor in any case, since it is very difficult to treat the advanced forms of mycoses. The doctor is obliged to conduct an examination of the clinical picture and to conduct a microscopic examination of the peeling, taken from the lesions. In rare cases, you may need a culture study. At the initial stage are applied external means:
- Clotrimazole – 2 times a day for 7-14 days;
- Lamisil – 2 times a day for 10 days;
- Mykoseptin – 2 times a day for 2 weeks;
- Mykozolon – 2 times a day during the week.
The choice and duration of use of antimycotic drugs should be controlled by the attending physician.
In cases with contact dermatitis, allergen exclusion is a must. Antihistamines or steroid ointments may also be indicated:
- Bepanthen – 2-3 times a day for 2-3 weeks;
- Triderm – 2 times a day for 14 days;
- Advantan – 14 days;
- Gistan – 14 days;
- Nacriderm GK – 14 days.
Antihistamines are prescribed in cases of severe redness and itching. Can be used within 2-4 weeks at the discretion of the physician.