In most cases, the appearance of spots on the skin with a red rim indicates the presence in a person of any disease. Most often we are talking about fungal lesions and allergic reactions, less often their appearance can be caused by endocrine disorders. Much attention should be paid to concomitant symptoms, which helps in internal examination to determine the nature of the origin of spots on the body with a white or red rim. In doubtful cases, microscopic examination can be prescribed and luminescence of lesions produced under the rays of the Wood lamp is produced.
Dermatology knows many diseases that provoke the appearance of spots on the body with a red border and scaly peeling. Most of them are of fungal origin, less often such symptoms may be caused by allergies or chronic dermatoses. To your attention the most common diseases with a typical clinical picture:
- Ringworm. Very contagious fungal disease, more common in children aged 3-10 years. Most often microsporia is caused by zoophilic M. canis and anthropophilic M. ferrugineum. In the first case, infection may occur after contact with an animal (usually kittens, less often dogs) or personal hygiene items of a sick person. Anthropophilic M. ferrugineum can only be infected through close contact with a sick person (most often it is children). For microsporia of the scalp is characterized by the appearance of spots on the skin with a red rim measuring 2-3 cm in diameter. Inside the lesion, gray-white scales and mild erythema are most often seen. Another distinctive feature is hair that is broken off in the lesion focus at a height of 3-5 mm. Also, upon detailed examination, you can see a gray-white bloom around each hair. Microscopic examination can be seen spores of the fungus that surround the hair. Microsporia smooth skin is characterized by the appearance of multiple spots on the scalp, arms, neck, abdomen and legs. The size of the rash varies from 0.5 to 2 cm. Clear boundaries are clearly visible. As the process progresses, the core brightens, small papular lesions may appear inside. In some cases, the formation of several rings inside the lesion can be observed. After washing quickly spread throughout the body. Subjective sensations may be present.
- Dermatitis. In our case, we are talking about contact allergic and perioral dermatitis, which at the initial stage can appear as a spot on the skin with a red rim that does not itch or hurt. In perioral dermatitis, lesions are localized in the area of the mouth, on the cheeks, chin and nasolabial triangle. The size of lesions is 2–5 cm. Contact dermatitis is characterized not only by the appearance of red spots on the body, but also by itchy blisters in the area of lesions, which burst during the process, transforming into crusts. The most common sites are the hands, neck, abdomen, and groin area.
- Epidermofitiya inguinal. Another type of inguinal fungus, which manifests itself as a large spot with a red rim in the area of inguinal-femoral folds in men and women. Infection most often occurs in public showers, baths, pools, etc. Also, inguinal athlete’s disease is transmitted through close physical contact and use of personal hygiene items (towels, cleansers, etc.). It is more common in men aged 25-55 years. Predisposing factors are excessive sweating, weight problems, and a hectic lifestyle. From the subjective sensations it is possible to note the itching of different intensity and pain in places of friction of skin folds. The surface of the lesions is rough to the touch, covered with scales and crusts. In every second case, peeling is observed. For a long time with periodic exacerbations in the hot season.
- Pink lichen. Chronic dermatitis, which is common among people aged 20-40 years. The exact cause has not yet been established. The most likely causes are bacterial and viral infections. The clinical picture includes the appearance of multiple spots on the skin with a red-pink rim up to 5 cm in size. The initial stage is characterized by the appearance of one lesion, which after 7-10 days begins to spread to other parts of the body. The color ranges from pale pink to orange. It is rough to the touch, as it is covered with small scales. Rashes very often resemble a locket in shape. A distinctive feature of pink lichen – in 90% of cases its appearance is not accompanied by any subjective sensations. Only in rare cases, patients complain of a small itch.
- Psoriasis. At the initial stage, it can also appear as red spots with a rim around the perimeter. But, it quickly acquires its characteristic symptoms – the surface of the plaques is always dry with a floury peeling, which resembles oatmeal. Localization of rash – scalp, hands, elbows, knees, back and abdomen. Characterized by a long, relapsing course with periodic exacerbations after illness or stressful situations.
- Trichophytosis. Fungal lesion of the skin, which is common in children aged 5-12 years. It has several forms, but we are interested in trichophytia in the head / h and superficial. They are characterized by the appearance of a single spot with a 1-2 cm rim. Further, additional lesion foci are observed and an increase in the size of the first spot, which will be several times larger than the newly appeared, is observed. Localization – the scalp, open areas of the body (face, neck, torso) and the hip area (buttocks, inner thighs). Another distinctive feature is the breaking of hair near the lesions at a height of 1-2 mm above the skin.
You can also remember about rubromycosis, which can manifest itself in the form of large brown spots in the groin area and large folds. Differential diagnosis is carried out with epidermikozy.
Diagnosis and Treatment
The appearance of spots on the body with a red border on any part of the body should be alerted, since even dermatitis can be confused with serious contagious mycosis. Therefore, if there are additional symptoms in the form of itching, soak, burning, and a rapid increase in the size of lesions, we recommend that you immediately contact a dermatologist for help.
Diagnosis of microsporia is carried out by examining the clinical picture, the luminescence of the lesions under the Wood’s lamp and the microscopic examination of scales. Under Wood’s lamp, ringworm has a characteristic green glow that is difficult to confuse with something. Treatment of microsporidia and trichophytia is very similar and includes the use of the following drugs:
- Griseofulvin (dosage at the rate of 20 mg / kg body weight of the patient);
- Lamisil (externally);
- Clotrimazole (externally);
- Salicylic ointment;
- Sulfur tar tar;
- Iodine tincture.
Also, at the discretion of the doctor, hair removal procedures can be prescribed in the area of the lesions using tweezers.
Photo of Spots on the Skin with Red Rim
The inguinal athlete almost always manages to be cured with the help of antifungal drugs for external use and improved hygiene. At the time of treatment, it is recommended to refuse to visit public showers, saunas and swimming pools. Use only your washcloth, personal hygiene products and towels. The doctor can write out the following drugs:
Also, at the discretion of the physician, treatment of lesions with boric salicylic alcohol may be prescribed.
Much easier with rosy lichen, which in 80% of cases within 4-6 weeks passes by itself. The accession of a secondary infection or the development of an inflammatory process is rarely noted. The same with allergic contact dermatitis, which, after exclusion of the allergen, must pass on its own. Individually, antihistamines can be prescribed in case of severe itching.