The most common dermatomycosis of the legs is accompanied by cracks and peeling of the skin between the fingers, on the sole, flaking and yellowing of the nails. If nothing is done, the disease will spread to other parts of the body. Treatment of heels and toes fungus at home is carried out with pharmaceutical preparations and folk remedies. The recently appeared fungus is cured many by itself with the help of ointments and solutions. In difficult cases, complex therapy is required.
Different Forms of Fungal Infection
Men more often suffer from ringworm feet, which is easily explained by sweating feet in closed, air-impermeable shoes. Women-athletes and ladies who often do a pedicure in the salon are at risk. The first symptoms indicating a fungal infection are itching, redness, peeling between the fingers and on the sole.
Before visiting a dermatologist, you can begin self-treatment of heels and toes fungus at home to eliminate discomfort and limit the spread of infection. Consult a doctor is necessary to clarify the form of the disease, the appointment of local therapy, systemic treatment (with running fungal infections). Symptoms of ringworm are similar to eczema, but therapy is different.
The main forms of heels and toes fungus:
- Erased. Slight flaking and small crevices in the crease between the 4th and 5th toes.
- Squamous. Small scales in the interdigital folds, on the lateral surfaces of the feet. Attacks of itching become frequent after water treatments.
- Hyperkeratotic. Dry scaly plaques, calluses, single bubbles. Itching and soreness worse at night.
- Intertriginous (opeloid). Redness, swelling, oozing, softening and destruction of moist skin areas. Itching, burning, soreness of erosions and cracks.
- Dyshidrotic. Numerous bubbles; wet erosion in their place with pink-red skin.
- Spicy Heat. Bubbles, maceration, painful erosion and cracks, crusts, odor caused by secondary bacterial infection.
The most susceptible to ringworm are people with diabetes, hypersecretion of the thyroid gland, and circulatory disorders in the legs. Conditionally pathogenic fungi pass into the category of pathogenic with a weakened immune system, after treatment with antibiotics, weight gain. These factors must be taken into account, otherwise relapses will not be avoided – the return of ringworm after successful therapy.
How to Treat Heels and Toes Fungus at Home with Simple Drugs from the Pharmacy?
Many antifungal drugs for external use are available without a prescription. In addition to fungicidal agents that kill mushrooms, it is recommended to stock up on antiseptics, solutions and gels with anti-inflammatory properties. The softening of plaques, mozozolelost and a thick layer of scales spend salicylic ointment 10-35%.
Apply the product on clean and dry soles, between the fingers, put on plastic bags, and socks on top. In the morning, the remains of the ointment is removed with a napkin and washed off with water. In case of severe damage to the feet, the procedure should be repeated 2–3 days in a row. Salicylic ointment dissolves layers of keratin along with the fungus.
The most affordable antiseptics and antimicrobial agents:
- Light-raspberry solution of potassium permanganate (manganese).
- Alcohol solution of brilliant green (Zelenka).
- Fucorcinum or Castellani liquid.
- Birch tar and tar soap.
- Alcohol iodine solution, 2%.
- Resorcinol, 1–2%.
- Sulfuric ointment.
The main disadvantages of these medicines are an unpleasant odor (3, 4, 7), staining of the skin, clothes and bed linen (2, 3, 5, 7). Potassium permanganate is used for foot baths in the evening. Potassium permanganate powder is first made a dark purple solution and stored at room temperature in a jar under a lid. Add this concentrate to the hot foot bath water so that the color is crimson.
The green area is treated with the affected area and the skin around, antifungal cream is applied on top. It is impossible to use topically preparations of iodine, chlorine, ammonia simultaneously with brilliant green. Successfully coping with parasites of the skin means with birch tar and sulfur, although during treatment will have an unpleasant smell.
How to Cure Quickly Heels and Toes Fungus at Home with Ointment and Cream?
The active ingredients of ointments penetrate deeper into the skin than the ingredients of creams. The first is recommended for use with dry scales, dense plaques. Such a practice is common when applying ointment under a bandage for the night, and cream – in the morning and during the day. The cream is better absorbed into the skin, but the depth of penetration is less than ointments and gel. Applied for the treatment of acute dermatomycosis, with the exception of a strong soak. The effectiveness of local therapy increases with the removal of horny layers with the help of keratolytic agents. Then you can apply ointment, cream or fungicidal spray.
Comprehensive treatment – a combination of topical and external use of ointments, creams with injections, the use of tablets or capsules inside.
Antifungal drug “Lamisil” is unique in that it is available in several dosage forms: ointment, dermatological gel, cream, spray, solution, tablets. Terbinafine – a fungicidal component of all forms of release means “Lamisil” – is active against the fungi Trichophyton, Microsporum, Candida, Epidermophyton, Pityrosporum. Taking pills orally prescribed by the doctor for ringworm, if there is a need for systemic therapy. However, terbinafine is contraindicated in diseases of the liver and kidneys.
Antifungal agents for the treatment of ringworm:
- for systemic therapy, fluconazole, voriconazole, itraconazole;
- for topical use – isoconazole, terbinafine, miconazole, oxiconazole, bifonazole, econazole, ketoconazole.
The names of the creams: “Lamisil”, “Nizoral”, “Myfungar”. Apply the selected product once or twice a day for 7–10 days. An antimycotic spray is sprayed on the sole, between the fingers, to moisten the affected areas.
The drug “Mycosolon” contains the antifungal component miconazole, which penetrates deep into the skin. The active substance inhibits the development of dermatophytes, Candida, prevents the appearance of bacterial superinfection. Treatment of heels and toes fungus at home with the ointment “Mikozolon” until complete recovery will take from 2 to 3 months, with two application of the drug per day (under the bandage). Another active ingredient – glucocorticosteroid mazipredon – helps to get rid of inflammation and itching at all stages of use.
Recipes of Traditional Medicine Against Heels and Toes Fungus
Many representatives of the flora secrete substances that slow down the growth and reproduction of microbes or kill them. The first line of defense against bacteria and fungi is phytoncides, the second is phytoalexins. Contains bactericidal and fungicidal substances in the resin of conifers, birch tar. These substances are used to treat heels and toes fungus with great care, be sure to protect intact skin with petroleum jelly.
- Dry inflammation and serve as a good prevention against the formation of new foci of the fungus daily foot bath with a solution of wine or apple vinegar.
- Foot baths with an infusion of wormwood or celandine reduce skin inflammation and disinfect the skin. Frequency of application —3–7 times a week.
- A strong fungicidal agent – a decoction of 10 peeled garlic cloves in 0.5 liters of water. It is used for foot bath 3-4 times a week.
- Another recipe with garlic: crushed clove mixed with three drops of olive oil and applied to the affected places for 30 minutes. Then wash the feet and dry the skin of the feet well.
- The extract of calendula flowers in olive or sunflower oil helps from heels and toes fungus.
- Juice or tincture of celandine to lubricate the affected areas several times a day.
Sometimes for a complete cure of the fungus of the foot at home is enough 2-3 weeks. Often, therapy must be continued for 12–15 months to prevent recurrence.