The appearance of red spots on the body is almost always accompanied by panic and fear, as almost always comes to mind thoughts about lichen or venereal diseases. In fact, this is one of the symptoms of almost all skin diseases. Only localization and subjective sensations are diverse. For example, a red spot in groin or the abdomen can be the first sign of contact dermatitis, but its appearance between the legs almost always indicates the presence of inguinal epidermophyton or rubromycosis in the groin, which also has scaling, itching and swelling. But not always the red spots on the skin indicate the presence of at least some disease, sometimes their appearance is caused by a normal allergic reaction, which takes place within a few hours.
Causes and Possible Diseases
It is very difficult to establish the true cause of the appearance of any rash on the skin, as it may be necessary not only a visual inspection, but also a study of analyzes. The appearance of red spots on the body in most cases caused by:
- Allergic reaction;
- Fungal diseases;
- Viral infections;
- Bacterial infections.
In children, this symptom is most often caused by allergies and viral infections, in adults it is caused by fungi. The most common diseases, the main symptom of which is the appearance of red spots on the skin:
- Contact dermatitis. Most often occurs in children aged 2 to 5 years, less often in adults. Characteristic differences – the appearance of large red spots on those areas of the skin that are in contact with the allergen. In children, this may be the buttocks and groin folds due to diapers, in adults even the genitals may be affected due to synthetic underwear. An allergic reaction can also be caused by condoms or lubricants. Together with abundant redness, itching is almost always severe swelling in the lesions.
- Streptoderma. Most common in children and girls with delicate skin. The first sign is the appearance on the body of a red speck of the size of a small pea, which does not peel off or scratch. Within a few hours, a bubble filled with a clear liquid appears at this place. Over time, the color of the liquid becomes cloudy, and the wound becomes covered with a crust. The duration of the inflammatory process is on average 2-3 weeks. Localization of rash – the area of sweat glands and hair follicles.
- Psoriasis. Everyone is familiar with the disease, one of the symptoms of which is the appearance on the skin of red-pink spots ranging in size from a small coin to the radius of a large circle. A distinctive feature – loose scales of silver color, easily scraped from lesions. The appearance of psoriatic plaques is observed in almost all parts of the body, but most often they can be found on the extensor surfaces of the upper and lower limbs (elbows, knees).
- Red lichen planus. A very common skin disease that is most common in people aged 30–60 years. It is characterized by the appearance of fine red spots on the skin with a diameter of 2-5 mm. With the course of the disease, papules can merge into rings and large plaques. They can also be arranged linearly. Most often, rashes are found on the flexor surface of the wrist joints and forearms. In 25-40% of cases, the rash can be localized on the cheeks, tongue, palate and gums. Lichen planus is distinguished by a chronic and recurrent course. Without treatment, it can last from 5 to 10 months.
- Epidermofitiya inguinal. Common ringworm, occurring most often in men aged 20-50 years. The clinical picture is characterized by the appearance of red spots ranging in size from 1 to 10 cm in the area of the inguinal-femoral folds. Less often rashes can be localized on the scrotum and interdigital folds. In women, lesions can be observed under the mammary glands. Almost always there is severe itching. You can become infected both through close physical contact, and through household items (washcloths, thermometers, linens, etc.).
- Rubromycosis. In this case, we are talking about smooth skin rubromycosis and in the groin, which is characterized by the appearance of large red spots with flakes and flaking. In some cases, small bubbles and crusts can be observed on their surface. At the initial stage, the size of the spots is 1-3 cm. Further, they merge and form one large lesion, covering a significant part of the skin. The characteristic difference from the inguinal athlete – defeat fungi funk hair, which become dull and begin to break off. In 90% of cases, infection occurs from direct contact with a sick person or personal hygiene item (hairbrush, scouring pumice, etc.). Leading dermatologists insist that scarring of the inguinal and smooth skin is almost always diagnosed in people suffering from mycoses of the feet, excessive sweating and ignoring the rules of personal hygiene.
- Microsporia. Another fungal disease that can cause red spots on the head, arms, abdomen and legs. Most often sick children aged 3 to 10 years. The main source of infection is stray animals (most often kittens). Characteristic differences are rounded flaky spots of red color (1-3 mm in diameter), with clear boundaries and a mild inflammatory process. The spread of spots throughout the body and their increase in size is observed after washing.
- Lupus erythematosus. Here we are talking about the skin form, which is characterized by the appearance on the skin of one clearly demarcated reddish spot of rapidly increasing in size. There may be swelling near the lesion and on its surface. In the future, the surface of the spot is covered with gray-white scales (resemble small spines), which are very difficult to remove and are accompanied by pain. The most common localization of lesions for lupus erythematosus is the face (nose, cheeks), neck, ears and the open part of the chest. With the defeat of the oral mucosa there are painful sensations during the meal.
In some cases, even deprive the pink, despite its name, may be accompanied by the appearance on the body of small spots of red color. Only a qualified specialist can determine the nature of skin rash, as in some cases microscopic examination is indispensable.
Photo of Red Spots on Skin
Diagnosis and Treatment
When small red specks appear on the skin, you should not immediately run to a doctor, as they may be due to an allergic reaction and go away on their own after a few hours or days. A visit to a doctor is necessary if you have the following symptoms:
- peeling on the surface of the spots;
- severe itching in the area of lesions;
- pain during palpation and pressure;
- rapid increase in rash size;
- the presence of the inflammatory process;
Even one of these symptoms should be alerted, especially for parents, who often think that their child will go by itself.
In cases of diagnosing depriving, the patient is prescribed special antifungal drugs for systemic or local use, depending on the type of pathogen and the location of the rash. In most cases, you can get rid of the red spots on the body with the help of clotrimazole ointment, which is used to treat lesions 2-3 times a day. If the scalp affects the scalp, Griseofulvin will need to be taken at the rate of 20 mg / 1 kg for 2–3 weeks before taking three positive tests for the presence of fungi. Groin athlete’s disease and rubrofitia are treated with the help of local ointments:
In rare, particularly severe cases, you may need to take systemic preparations based on fluconazole (Diflucan, Flucostat).
Red spots caused by contact dermatitis can be eliminated only by discarding the use of things or objects that have an allergen in their composition. Here, most likely, you will have to completely change all the clothes from synthetic to cotton, to stop using certain brands of condoms or lubricants and diapers (in cases with children).
If the cause of red spots lies in psoriasis, then you need to accept the fact that they will periodically appear throughout life, because today scientists have not found a drug that can cure psoriasis once and for all. Yes, there are many expensive and effective drugs that help during the progression of the disease. But even they are not able to completely cure any form of psoriasis.
In any case, try not to panic and not to worry much when any rash appears, as even severe stress can cause large red spots on the chest and abdomen.